Monday, April 7, 2014

Doxology

            With an open heart and tear filled eyes I lower my hands. The final song has been played at my college’s weekly praise and worship. Sunday nights are a night for contemplative, unadulterated praise. With the lights turned off, students voluntarily take an hour away from their evening in order to fill it with the power of worshipping the almighty, creator God.
            When the lights are turned down, it is easy to get lost in the presence of the Spirit. Song after song I sing, letting my words begin deep in my soul, flowing through my innermost being, to all ends of my physical body, and finally projecting outward with truth towards my Divine love. There is a beautiful simplicity in singing worship songs, and I often feel as though I am the only one in the chapel with God. Which is a wonderful way to praise, but when I get caught up in only God and me, then I miss the greater community, and the full experience of the Lord.
            With my hands lowered I instinctively grasp the hand on the person on my left, and then my right. Both ends of the chapel converge, and cross the great divide between the west pews, and the east pews. All students in this sanctuary, this place of retreat, are now clasping hands. The band begins to sing without instruments:

Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise him all creatures here below
Praise him above ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Amen

            I use the back of my hand to wipe my now drizzling eyes. What beauty there is worshipping in community, the beautiful people the Lord has created and called good. There is incredible power in independently worshipping God, but when you realize we are made to do faith together, worshipping as one unified voice, it becomes that much more powerful. I especially enjoy ending with the doxology because it brings me back to this home in community. I am not simply singing with those people in the room, nor simply Christians who speak English, nor this generation, or those living today. I gather in singing with the saints who have chanted, sung prayed, said these words since they were published in 1709, and I join with all the Lord's people who have been praising Yahweh since the beginning of time. What a gift worshipful community is.

No comments:

Post a Comment